Current and Upcoming Exhibitions and other Events
- 1 - Frank & Lydia's Italiaanse IJssalon - “Galleria Gelateria (Bert Menco)”, Bos en Lommerweg 156, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (image). Monday, June 20 - Wednesday, November 30, 2022; after October 15, 2022, only following appointment with store owner, Frank Hagen. Daily: 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM. See also below under 7.
- 2 - 't Zonnetje - “Bert Menco - Grafiek” (see also here; Europe's oldest coffee, tea, and spice shop, in existence since VOC times, 1642, in its original location, invited by its proprietor, Marie Louise Velder, image), Haarlemmerdijk 45, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Monday, March 9, 2020 - until notice; Mondays - Fridays: 9:00 AM- 6:00 PM, Saturdays: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM. See also below under 7.
- 3 - Boston Printmakers - “Connect ”, traveling exhibition 2021 - 2023 (image and here). Further details will follow.
- 4 - Grafein International Print Mail Art Project - “Meeting Up”, Amstelkerk, Amstelveld 10, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Monday, August 1 - Friday, August 26, 2022. Further details will follow.
- 5 - Douro, Portugal - “5th Edition Global Print 2021” (with Mariko Ventura, image; curated by Nuno Canelas). Monday, August 1 - Thursday, September 30, 2022. Further details will follow.
- 6 - Gafein - ““DRUK & PROEF” “Ontmoeting””. Kunstruimte De Melkfabriek, Guldenvliesstraat 4H, ‘s Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands (image). Friday, November 11 - Sunday, November 20, 2022. Further details will follow.
- 7 - Grafein Triennial, at locations above under 1 (Frank & Lydia's Italiaanse IJssalon) and 2 ('t Zonnetje) - “Grafiek22” (image). Thursday, September 1 - Wednesday, November 30, 2022. Details thus far.
- 8 - Arion Press, 1802 Hays Street, San Francisco, CA - “SHADOW AND LIGHT” (also here, image, see also below under 10). Further details will follow.
- 9 - China Printmaking Museum - “The Jade from Other Mountains - Exhibition for Anthology of Contemporary International Printmaking” (curator Zhao Jiachun, sponsored by the Chinese Ministry of Culture and Tourism, image), Guanlan, Shenzhen, China. March 2023. Further details will follow.
- 10 - “Absence and Presence: A Printmaking Response to the Bombing of al-Mutanabbi Street” (invited by Denise Brady, Paula Wallace after an initiative by Beau Beausoleil, image; one set inccluded in the Baghdad Public Library, Baghdad, Iraq).
Virtual “Left-Over” Exhibitions
Interviews, Blogs and Self-Written Articles
- Art of Chicago - by Stephanie Hayden, with links to many favorite artists
- Uturn - by Julie Reichert-Marton
- Happy Faces Chicago-1 - studio visit by Amy Rudberg
- Happy Faces Chicago-2 - CPC, 2009, small print show (Amy Rudberg)
- Print Art - “Print Art Abroad - Bert Menco, A Small Jewish Friend”, illustrated 2015 article (Chinese) by Zhao Jiachun of the China Guanlan Original Printmaking Base (Shenzhen) (Bert also gave a seminar at the Base)
- Neotericart and New Art Examiner - an extensive review (2015) by Diane Thodos
- Contemporay Impressions (the Journal of the American Print Alliance) - “A Self Potrait “Inside Out”, written by invitation, Volume 6, #2 (1998)
- The Boston Printmakers e-newsletter, Summer 2021 - “A Lifes' Journey Through Images”, written by invitation.
Available Books, Magazines, and Objects
- “Visions and Voices” - 36 images (cover, poster), text: Bernd Lindemann, foreword: Audrey Niffenegger; invoco-verlag, Homburg, Germany, ISBN 978-938165-03-4: $29.97; in German & English, ISBN 978-3-938165-09-6, 2006, € 28.--
- “Dragon Killer”- 14 illustrations on a text by Bernd Lindemann, invoco-verlag, Homburg, Germany, ISBN 978-3-938165-06-5, $12.77; in German, English & French with two additional illustrators, ISBN 978-3-938165-05-8, 2006, € 16.20
- “Art Scene Chicago, 2000” - Crow Woods Publishing, Evanston, IL, ISBN 0-9665871-7-0, 2000, $15.00
- “The Best of Printmaking”, Rockport Publishers, Gloucester, MA, ISBN 12: 9781564963710/ISBN 10: 1564863713, 1997, antiquarian availability, about $10 - $200.
Featuring Bert's Artwork and Art Involvement
- Link 1 | Link
2 | Link
3 | Link 4 | Link 5 - Anatomically Correct
- Link 1 | Link 2 | Link 3 | Link 4 | Link 5 (exercise 1) | Link 6| Link 7a and 7b | Link 8 | Link 9 |Link 10 | Link 11 | Link 12 |Link 13 | Link 14 | Link 15 | Link 16 | Link 17
- Link 1 | Link 2 | Link 3 | Link 4 | Link 5 - Chicago Printmakers' Collaborative (CPC
- Earlier versions of this site
- Northwestern University Web Archives
- Netherlands Institute for Art History
- China Guanlan Original Printmaking Base and 1 - also Lingshi catalogue
- Bienal Douro (Portugal) - featured artist, artist page
- Woman Made Gallery (also 1, 2 and 3)
- Printworks Gallery - important former Chicago Gallery (also here)
- Splitgraphic: International Graphic Art Biennial Split (Croatia) - click for high resolution images
- Bert's Facebook Page - also 1, 2 and 3
- Saatchi Gallery
- Culture Inside
- Illinois Artists' List
- Artworldchicago - Bert's page (also 1)
- Red and Gold Gallery, Seattle, WA
- Evanston Art Center
- Oxalá Fine Art - see also 1
- Heartland Foundation - Art Against AIDS/Art of Human Rights benefits (also 1)
- One Inspired Evening, also 1 - benefitting the homeless
- Gravatar logo
- Block Museum, Evanston, IL - “Exquisite Snake”
- College of Lake County
- The Nelson Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, MO
- Chicago Artist Archives
- On Exhibit: Bert Menco's Second-Generation Nightmares - Chicago Reader
- Robert T. Wright Community Gallery of Art, Daydreams & Night Dreams, also etching “Extinct”
- Artdaily - refers to the exhibition above
- Museum Rotterdam
- Ryerson & Burnham Libraries Art Institute of Chicago
- Autour de l'Art Juif - pages 175 & 176
- Other Voices - covers issues 31 and 37
- International Society of Artists - advocacy (signed on)
- Artists Respond - initiated this benefit
- Lowlands - Peter Thompson: film about Vermeer
Favorite Artists and Galleries Additional to Those Listed in the Stephanie Hayden Interview
- Susan Hall - dreams and dreaming
- Richard Halstead - Richard, the “best” for portraits
Hill - selfs and friends
- Joseph Hirsch - an incredible set of maps
- Tom Huck - wood- and linocuts, rural US
- Yumiko Irei - refined intaglios, nature
- Japanese Ukiyo-e prints - exhaustive
- Akiyama Kanako - great narrative art
- Hashimoto Kansetsu - art and garden
- Karena Karras - surrealism, Mexican tradition
- William Kentridge - more: 1 | 2
- Jissy Keuenhof - multifaceted sculptures and prints
- Sohee Kim - very playful and complex prints
- Juul Kraijer and AjiVN -dreams of selfsand alter-egos
- Lyubomir Krastev - uneasy realism, mostly etchings
- Ruttiporn Leepanuwong - a very talented Thai printmaker
Livshultz - and his father Chaim
- Guerrino Lovato - amazing masks, Venice
- Amy Madden - drawings
- Danny Mansmith - very creative fiber art
- Craig McPherson - see especially his mezzotints
- Ann Meade - Neill Sanders' (2nd cousin) wife
- Daniel Menco - Menco's Mix, Bert's nephew
- Emma Menco - Bert's niece: winning photograph
- Ido Menco - Bert's brother's photography
- Joshua Menco - Bert's prize winning film editor nephew
- Barbara (paintings) and Ben Mittman (photographs) - 20th century icons and Paris, among others
- Sonya Montenegro - tender, whimsical
- Jackie Moses - surreal houses and landscapes
- Anne Muller - suspended emotions
- Miriam Nerlove - wonderful watercolor illustrations
- Peter Olson - birds, birds, birds
- Teresa Pankratz - printed bookhouses, also 1
- Karen Perl - Chicago painted in silence
- Sandra Perlow - abstracted biology and landscape
- Chaja Polak - personal and sober narratives
- Marilyn Propp/David Jones - great artist couple
Rego - surreal fantasies
- Hella Rottenberg - investigative journalist/essayist, Eastern Europe specialty (e.g.,Window on Russia)
- Jay Ryan - silkscreen master
- Lique Schoot - intimate self-portraits
- Don Seiden - animal sculptures
- Peter Sis - picture books full of mystery
- David Small -author/illustrator, e.g., of Stitches
- Diana Solís - inventive, playful
- Sue Sommers - Nature, foremost
- Michelle Stone - sculptural and sculptures
Svankmajer - the ultimate surrealist
- Blair Thomas - a very inventive puppeteer
- Bruce Thorn - nearly abstract
- Lika Tov - Bible-inspired collagraphs
- Jirí Trnka, “The Hand” - ultimate animation
- Mariko Ventura - ascetic ceramics
- Marlaine Verhelst - dolls, puppets...or sculptures?
- Chris Ware - Chicago's amazing graphic novel author/artist
- US Galleries, Art Fairs, etc.
- Chicago - see Cultural Center and its Exhibitions
- The Visualist - a comprehensive Chicago visual arts calendar
- Chicago Art District
- Chicago Gallery News
- Artists of Chicago
- Chicago Artists' Coalition and Chicago Artists' Resource
- New Art Examiner - a Chicago-based art magazine
- Clef Notes journal - Chicago art magazine
- Gapers Block - Chicago on line art magazine
- Etching - process
- Evanston Print & Paper, Evanston Art Center, North Shore Art League, Lill Street, The Art Center Highland Park, Spudnik Press, Hoofprint Workshop - Chicagoland printmaking facilities not listed elsewhere on this site
- Chicago Printer's Guild - a Chicago Printmaker's resource
- Prints America - large collection of American prints, housed in Evanston
- Ars Grafiica - European graphic arts organization
- Nederlandse Vereniging voor Grafiek & Grafein - two Dutch organizations for the Graphic Arts
- Aga Lab - major printmaking studio Amsterdam
- Nobilis Foundation - an important print depository in The Netherlands
- China Printmaking Museum and Printmaking Base - graphic arts village and museum uniquely devoted to the printmaking arts
- Edward Lyons, Charbonnel, Graphic Chemical, Takach, Polymetaal - major printmaking materials' suppliers
- Cave Paper, Paper Connection - printmaking papers
- Artists Book House - a possible book venue, school, museum, shop and café in Evanston, IL
- Transit, Ragdale - more Chicago-area artist' venues/resources/residency
- Triennial Cracow - listing international print shows
- Call for Entry, Art Deadlines List - submission opportunities
- International Print Center, New York
- Journal of the Print World, Printmaking Today, Art in Print - magazines specialized in works on paper
- The Drawing Center, New York
- Morgan Library and Museum, New York - among others The Hours of Catherine of Cleves
- Europeana - digitized European art collections
- Codart and Codart Masterpieces - Dutch and Flemish art, worldwide + their 100 master pieces
- Lukas - art in Flanders
- DBNL - Dutch cultural history and literature
- Kunst, Dutch Culture, Artsalon Holland - good Dutch art news
- Kunstschrift, Museumtijdschrift, Vind Magazine - some very good Dutch art magazines, Kunstschrift being the oldest and always covering a single topic
- Dutch Royal Library - exhaustive
- Vereniging Rembrandt -Dutch art collections' fund
- Tefaf, Pan, - important art fairs in The Netherlands
- Gary Schwartz - art news from The Netherlands
- Google Art Project - museums worlwide, high resolution images
- Artdaily, Art Newspaper, Apollo Magazine
- E-Art Now, One Arty Minute - more art news
- Artcritical - insightful art reviews (e.g., by Diane Thodos)
- Art schools - a resource
- Marns (art theft deposition), Culture Crime News(large database), and Art Loss
- Resartis, Alliance of Artists Communities, Rate my Artist Resicdency - artist residency resources
- Holocaust Stolen Art List & Lost/stolen art Germany and The Netherlands
- Art scams and about stopping these
- YIVO Archives - Jewish life and culture
- Jewish Art Salon - international Jewish artists
- Art Conservation Issues
- Saving Antiquities for Everyone (SAFE)
- Arts Action Fund, Arts Alliance Illinois and Lawyers for the Creative Arts- arts' advocacies
- Icoonic House & Artists Studios, Dezeen - architecture, etc.
- Museum Depot Shop and Onterfgoed - Dutch deaccessioned art works for sale
- Oriental Architecture
- Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art, Mazza Museum & Rosenbach Library - children books; the third one contains works of Maurice Sendak
- Brut Museum - Lausanne, Switzerland
- Museum of the Jewish People
- Savitsky Collection - Karakalpak Museum, Nukus, Uzbekistan
- Lambiek and Griffioen Grafiek - great Dutch comic-book sites
- Doll and Puppet Art, Puppet Theaters
- Poses -helpful drawing/painting site
- The Rembrandt tutorials - learning from the master in his (simulated) voice
- Philobiblon, Colossal - book-arts sites
Here - site as art; fun to explore
Family Background, etc.
- Parents- thanks to Tom Verwaijen
- Menco (also 1 and the Jewish Monument in Winterswijk, which includes the names of family members) and Hakkert (mother's maiden name; Memorial de la Shoah and 1, (Paris, France) and Sijtwende Monument in Voorburg/Leidschendam, which includes the names of family members).
- Ida Menco-Stern and Salomon Menco - paternal grandparents.
- War account Adolf Menco, Bert's father, in which he describes his flight to Switzerland.
- Hommelstraat, Arnhem - my father's butcher store kust before closing (+sister-in-law) .
- War time accounts Helena, Erna, Mourits and Leonard Menco and families - sisters and brothers of Bert's father.
- War account Mozes (Max) Richard Hakkert, Bert's maternal grandfather, describing, among others, the bombing of Rotterdam, May 1940.
- Hakkert Musical Instruments, Hakkert Violin Builders, & String Factory - contains Max Hakkert's art, as well as many references to Max's and Jacques' role in the cultural history of pre-war Rotterdam (thanks to Albert Rottier). See also 1 , 2 and 3.
- A moving account by Divine and Frank Crappé on Max Hakkert and family, especially as followed through sheet music.
- Hakkert in Museum Rotterdam
- Loods 24, Rotterdam.
- Violins of Hope - honoring, among others Bert's great-uncle, violin builder Jacob (Jacques) Wolfgang Hakkert (also 1).
- Sanders - maternal grandmother (thanks to Tom Verwaijen)
- Dutch Jewish Monument