Current and Upcoming Exhibitions and other Events
- 1 - Frank & Lydia's Italiaanse IJssalon - Galleria Gelateria (Bert Menco), Bos en Lommerweg 156, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (image). Every day: 11:00 AM -10:00 PM.
- 2 - Liberaal Joodse Gemeente (LJG), Amsterdam, The Netherlands - Bert Menco, Werken (invted by Babette Treumann, image), 2024. Further details will follow.
- 3 - Absence and Presence: A Printmaking Response to the Bombing of al-Mutanabbi Street (invited by Denise Brady &, Paula Wallace after an initiative by Beau Beausoleil (video), my iimage; one set inccluded in the Baghdad Public Library, Baghdad, Iraq).
Virtual “Left-Over” Exhibitions
- 1 - Chicago Printmakers' Collaborative (CPC) - “30 artists/30 years show” (invited by Deborah Mares-Lader, image).
- 2 - Cluj Art Museum, Cluj-Napoca, Romania - “Holocaust” (curated by Ovidiu Petca, 20 artists, my works in catalogue and article/video).
- 3 - Stichting Grafein, Purmerend, The Netherlands - See Things in Perspective” (also here), International Print Mail Art Project. Online exhibition: image, also here.
- 4 - Pentacrest Museums - “Shadow and Light: Honoring Iraqi Academics in my case Dr. Raad Shlash, Old Capitol Museum's Hanson Gallery, Iowa City, IA (curated by poet Beau Beausoleil, image and podcast).
- 5 - China Printmaking Museum - “Vision of Interaction: International Contemporary Printmaking Ecosystem” and 1, my work (also image) curator Zhao Jiachun, sponsored by the Chinese Ministry of Culture and Tourism), Guanlan, Shenzhen, China.
Interviews, Blogs and Self-Written Articles
- Art of Chicago - by Stephanie Hayden, with links to many favorite artists.
- Uturn - by Julie Reichert-Marton.
- Happy Faces Chicago-1 - studio visit by Amy Rudberg
- Happy Faces Chicago-2 - CPC, 2009, small print show (Amy Rudberg).
- Print Art Abroad - Bert Menco, A Small Jewish Friend, illustrated 2015 article (Chinese) by Zhao Jiachun of the China Guanlan Original Printmaking Base (Shenzhen) (Bert also gave a seminar at the Base).
- Neotericart and New Art Examiner - an extensive review (2015) by Diane Thodos.
- Contemporay Impressions (the Journal of the American Print Alliance) - A Self Potrait Inside Out, written by invitation, Volume 6, #2 (1998).
- The Boston Printmakers e-newsletter, Summer 2021 - A Lifes' Journey Through Images”, written by invitation.
Available Books, Magazines, and Objects
- “Visions and Voices” - 36 images (cover, poster), text: Bernd Lindemann, foreword: Audrey Niffenegger; invoco-verlag, Homburg, Germany, ISBN 978-938165-03-4: $29.97; in German & English, ISBN 978-3-938165-09-6, 2006, 28.00.
- “Dragon Killer”- 14 illustrations on a text by Bernd Lindemann, invoco-verlag, Homburg, Germany, ISBN 978-3-938165-06-5, $12.77; in German, English & French with two additional illustrators, ISBN 978-3-938165-05-8, 2006, 16.20.
- “Art Scene Chicago, 2000” - Crow Woods Publishing, Evanston, IL, ISBN 0-9665871-7-0, 2000, $15.00.
- The Best of Printmaking, Rockport Publishers, Gloucester, MA, ISBN 12: 9781564963710/ISBN 10: 1564863713, 1997, antiquarian availability, about $10 - $200.
Featuring Bert's Artwork and Art Involvement
- Link 1 | Link
2 | Link
3 | Link 4 | Link 5 - Anatomically Correct
- Link 1 | Link 2 | Link 3 | Link 4 | Link 5 (exercise 1) | Link 6| Link 7a and 7b | Link 8 | Link 9 | Link 10 | Link 11 |Link 13 | Link 13 | Link 14 | Link 15 | Link 16
- L2nk 1 | Link 2 | Link 3 | Link 4 | Link 5 | Link 6 | Link 7 - Chicago Printmakers' Collaborative (CPC
- Grafein, also 1 and overview
- Earlier versions of this site
- Northwestern University Web Archives
- Netherlands Institute for Art History
- China Guanlan Original Printmaking Base and Lingshi catalogue
- Bienal Douro (Portugal) - featured artist, artist page
- Woman Made Gallery (also 1, 2 and 3)
- Printworks Gallery - important former Chicago Gallery (also here)
- Morpho Gallery - Chicago, IL, also 1
- Splitgraphic: International Graphic Art Biennial Split (Croatia) - click for high resolution images
- Bert's Facebook Page - also 1, 2 and 3
- Saatchi Gallery
- Culture Inside
- Illinois Artists' List
- Artworldchicago - Bert's page (also 1)
- Evanston Art Center
- Oxalá Fine Art
- Heartland Foundation - Art Against AIDS/Art of Human Rights benefits
- Gravatar logo
- Block Museum, Evanston, IL - Exquisite Snake
- The Nelson Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, MO
- Chicago Artist Archives
- On Exhibit: Bert Menco's Second-Generation Nightmares - Chicago Reader
- Museum Rotterdam
- Ryerson & Burnham Libraries Art Institute of Chicago
- Autour de l'Art Juif - pages 175 & 176
- Other Voices - covers issues 31 and 37
- International Society of Artists - advocacy (signed on)
- Artists Respond - initiated this benefit
- Lowlands - Peter Thompson: film about Johannes Vermeer and his family
Favorite Artists and Galleries Additional to Those Listed in the Stephanie Hayden Interview
- Heather Accurso - delicate surreal drawings
- Montserrat Alsina - spiritual works, also Colibri Studio & Gallery
- Arnhem aan Zee - art(ist)s in and around Arnhem
- Corrado Balest - Venetian arcadian artist
- Susan Barron - visual poetry
- Bohemian art - exhaustive selection
- Michelle Browne - organic prints using fiber
- Deborah Bryan - etchings of birds and more
- Pamela Callahan & John Walté - two fine Wisconsin artists
- Eddie Campbell - comics and more great comics
- Kass Copeland - imaginative collages
- Jeanine Coupe-Ryding - a wonderful printmaker
- Sean Culver - intricate cosntructions, Daguerreotypes, etc.
- Greta Cune - Dutch, and beyond
- Susan Curry - very fine porcelain teapots, etc.
- Andrea Deszö - artist books, one of a kind, etc.
- David Driesbach - whimsical intaglio
- Emil Ferris, Michael Ferris, and Eleanor Spiess-Ferris - a family of very talented artists
- Curt Frankenstein - a very special artist and person
- Bill Frederick - masterful drawings; see also 1
- Indira Freitas-Johnson - contemplative meditation
- Galerie Art - fine Czech prints
- Esperanza Gama - Mezo-American
- David Gista - bookish
- Leslie Golomb - the complex technique of photogravure
- Michael Goro - masterful etchings
- Andries Gouws - uncomfortable realism
- Dan Grzeka - cool prints and printmaker links
- Susan Hall - dreams and dreaming
- Richard Halstead - Richard, the “best” for portraits
Hill - selfs and friends
- Joseph Hirsch - an incredible set of maps
- Tom Huck - wood- and linocuts, rural US
- Yumiko Irei - refined intaglios, nature
- Japanese Ukiyo-e prints - exhaustive
- Akiyama Kanako - great narrative art
- Hashimoto Kansetsu - art and garden
- Karena Karras - surrealism, Mexican tradition
- William Kentridge - more: 1 | 2
- Sohee Kim - very playful and complex prints
- Juul Kraijer and AjiVN -dreams of selfsand alter-egos
- Lyubomir Krastev - uneasy realism, mostly etchings
- Ruttiporn Leepanuwong - a very talented Thai printmaker
Livshultz - and his father Chaim
- Guerrino Lovato - amazing masks, Venice
- Amy Madden - drawings
- Danny Mansmith - very creative fiber art
- Craig McPherson - see especially his mezzotints
- Ann Meade - Neill Sanders' (2nd cousin) wife
- Daniel Menco - Menco's Mix, Bert's nephew
- Emma Menco - Bert's niece: winning photograph
- Ido Menco - Bert's brother's photography
- Joshua Menco - Bert's prize winning film editor nephew
- Barbara (paintings) and Ben Mittman (photographs) - 20th century icons and Paris, among others
- Sonya Montenegro - tender, whimsical
- Jackie Moses - surreal houses and landscapes
- Anne Muller - suspended emotions
- Miriam Nerlove - wonderful watercolor illustrations
- Peter Olson - birds, birds, birds
- Teresa Pankratz - printed bookhouses, also 1
- Karen Perl - Chicago painted in silence
- Sandra Perlow -abstracted biology and landscape
- Chaja Polak - personal and sober narratives
- Marilyn Propp/David Jones - great artist couple
Rego - surreal fantasies
- Hella Rottenberg - investigative journalist/essayist, Eastern Europe specialty (e.g.,Window on Russia)
- Jay Ryan - silkscreen master
- Lique Schoot - intimate self-portraits
- Don Seiden - animal sculptures
- Peter Sis - picture books full of mystery
- David Small -author/illustrator, e.g., of Stitches
- Diana Solís - inventive, playful
- Sue Sommers - Nature, foremost
- Michelle Stone - sculptural and sculptures
Svankmajer - the ultimate surrealist
- Blair Thomas - a very inventive puppeteer
- Bruce Thorn - nearly abstract
- Lika Tov - Bible-inspired collagraphs
- Jirí Trnka, The Hand - ultimate animation
- Mariko Ventura - ascetic ceramics
- Marlaine Verhelst - dolls, puppets...or sculptures?
- Chris Ware - Chicago's amazing graphic novel author/artist
- US Galleries, Art Fairs, etc.
- Chicago - see Cultural Center and its Exhibitions
- The Visualist - a comprehensive Chicago visual arts calendar
- Chicago Alliance for Visual Arists (CAVA) - opportunities for Chicago area artists over 50
- Chicago Art District
- Chicago Gallery News
- Artists of Chicago
- Chicago Artists' Coalition
- New Art Examiner and alternate - Chicago-based art magazinse
- Clef Notes journal - Chicago art magazine
- Gapers Block - Chicago on line art magazine
- Etching - process
- Evanston Print & Paper, Evanston Art Center, North Shore Art League, Lill Street, Spudnik Press, Hoofprint Workshop - Chicagoland printmaking facilities not listed elsewhere on this site
- Chicago Printer's Guild - a Chicago Printmaker's resource
- Ars Grafiica - European graphic arts organization
- Nederlandse Vereniging voor Grafiek & Grafein - two Dutch organizations for the Graphic Arts
- Aga Lab - major printmaking studio Amsterdam
- Nobilis Foundation - an important print depository in The Netherlands
- China Printmaking Museum and Printmaking Base - graphic arts village and museum uniquely devoted to the printmaking arts
- Edward Lyons, Charbonnel, Graphic Chemical, Takach, Polymetaal - major printmaking materials' suppliers
- Cave Paper, Paper Connection, Awagami - printmaking papers
- Artists Book House - a possible book venue, school, museum, shop and cafι in Evanston, IL
- Ragdale - a great Chicago,-area artist' residency
- Triennial Cracow - listing international print shows
- Call for Entry, Art Deadlines List - submission opportunities
- Print Center New York
- Journal of the Print World, Printmaking Today, Art in Print - magazines specialized in works on paper
- The Drawing Center, New York
- Morgan Library and Museum, New York - among others The Hours of Catherine of Cleves
- Europeana - digitized European art collections
- Codart and Codart Masterpieces - Dutch and Flemish art, worldwide + their 100 master pieces
- Lukas - art in Flanders
- DBNL - Dutch cultural history and literature
- Dutch Culture, Artsalon Holland - good Dutch art news
- Kunstschrift, Museumtijdschrift, Vind Magazine - some very good Dutch art magazines, Kunstschrift being the oldest and always covering a single topic
- Dutch Royal Library - exhaustive
- Vereniging Rembrandt -Dutch art collections' fund
- Tefaf, Pan, Art Rotterdam, KunstRai, Affordable Art Fair - important art fairs in The Netherlands
- Gary Schwartz - art news from The Netherlands
- Google Art Project - museums worlwide, high resolution images
- Artdaily, Art Newspaper, Apollo Magazine
- E-Art Now, One Arty Minute - more art news
- Artcritical - insightful art reviews (e.g., by Diane Thodos)
- Art schools - a resource
- Culture Crime News (large database), and Art Loss
- Resartis, Alliance of Artists Communities, Rate my Artist Resicdency - artist residency resources
- Holocaust Stolen Art List & Lost/stolen art Germany and The Netherlands
- Art scams and about stopping these
- YIVO Archives - Jewish life and culture
- Jewish Art Salon - international Jewish artists
- Art Conservation Issues
- Saving Antiquities for Everyone (SAFE)
- Arts Action Fund, Arts Alliance Illinois and Lawyers for the Creative Arts- arts' advocacies
- Icoonic House & Artists Studios, Dezeen - architecture, etc.
- Museum Depot Shop and Onterfgoed - Dutch deaccessioned art works for sale
- Oriental Architecture
- Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art, Mazza Museum & Rosenbach Library - children books; the third one contains works of Maurice Sendak
- Brut Museum - Lausanne, Switzerland
- Museum of the Jewish People
- Savitsky Collection - Karakalpak Museum, Nukus, Uzbekistan
- Lambiek and Griffioen Grafiek - great Dutch comic-book sites
- Doll and Puppet Art, Puppet Theaters
- Poses -helpful drawing/painting site
- The Rembrandt tutorials - learning from the master in his (simulated) voice
- Philobiblon, Colossal - quaint arts sites
Here - site as art; fun to explore
Family Background, etc.
- Parents- thanks to Tom Verwaijen
- Menco (also 1 and the Jewish Monument in Winterswijk, which includes the names of family members) and Hakkert (mother's maiden name; Memorial de la Shoah and 1, (Paris, France) and Sijtwende Monument in Voorburg/Leidschendam, which includes the names of family members).
- Ida Menco-Stern and Salomon Menco - paternal grandparents.
- War account Adolf Menco, Bert's father, in which he describes his flight to Switzerland.
- Hommelstraat, Arnhem - my father's butcher store kust before closing (+sister-in-law) .
- War time accounts Helena, Erna, Mourits and Leonard Menco and families - sisters and brothers of Bert's father.
- War account Mozes (Max) Richard Hakkert, Bert's maternal grandfather, describing, among others, the bombing of Rotterdam, May 1940.
- Hakkert Musical Instruments, Hakkert Violin Builders, & String Factory - contains Max Hakkert's art, as well as many references to Max's and Jacques' role in the cultural history of pre-war Rotterdam (thanks to Albert Rottier). See also 1 , 2 and 3.
- A moving account by Divine and Frank Crappé on Max Hakkert and family, especially as followed through sheet music.
- Hakkert in Museum Rotterdam
- Loods 24, Rotterdam.
- Violins of Hope - honoring, among others Bert's great-uncle, violin builder Jacob (Jacques) Wolfgang Hakkert (also 1).
- Sanders - maternal grandmother (thanks to Tom Verwaijen)
- Dutch Jewish Monument and Namenmonument Amsterdam